Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Christmas Ornaments

For Christmas we gave out hand made ornaments.  It was so easy, and fun to do with the kids..especially G-Man!  I got the recipe for the dough off Pinterest.

Here is what you will need:
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Rolling pin
  • Cookie sheet
  • Toothpick/ Straw
  • Cookie cutter
  • Acrylic paint
  • ribbon or ornament hangers
Here is what you do:
  1. Pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees F
  2. Mix together the salt, flour and water with your hands until elastic and smooth.
  3. Roll out to 1/4" thick.
  4. Cut out your shapes with cookie cutters and place them on parchment paper on your cookie sheet. (use your toothpick to make a whole if you want to hang these on your Christmas tree)
  5. Bake for 2 hours.
  6. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before decorating.
  7. Use acrylic paint to decorate it and let it dry.
*Now, there are 2 ways that you can let your ornaments "bake"
One way is the oven, as it is listed above.
  The other is to let your ornament sit out for at least 2 days.  I found that the ones I let sit out, actually turned out better.  If you do not have 2 days to spare, the oven method works too!



Grant really enjoyed rolling out the dough
He made a Christmas tree ornament for Uncle Wes and Aunt Jocqueline
and then painted it with LOVE!
After we painted, we let the paint dry
I love how they looked on my tree.
  I love that I will have 2 sweet hand prints on my tree every year, even more!
This sweet boy had a ball!
What more could one ask for?!

No comments: