Friday, January 27, 2012

Green Eggs

When I think of green eggs, besides the book of course, I think of eggs with green food coloring! Ha!
 I was recently flipping through my Deceptively Delicious cook book, and there was a recipe for green eggs made with baby spinach.  Since the kids scarfed down smoothies made with baby spinach, I thought I would give this a try too.

I will include the recipe at the end, but it is super easy to make.  When making eggs, it really only adds one extra step, and that is to puree the spinach.  Both Grant and Caroline loved it!  I did add deli ham on top, to give it the Green Eggs and Ham title.  I was planning on reading the book to them as they ate, but either Caroline has misplaced the book somewhere...or we don't have it!
..I feel a trip to the bookstore coming on..
:)


You will need:
2 teaspoons of margarine
1 pound of baby spinach
3 tablespoons of milk
4 large eggs
2 large egg whites
Pinch of salt
Nonstick cooking spray

1.Melt 1 teaspoon of the margarine in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add the spinach, turn the heat to high, and cook stirring often, until the spinach wilts. Add the milk and cook to evaporate. Transfer to a food processor, and puree.

2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the puree and the salt.

3. Coat the same skillet with the cooking spray and set the pan over medium heat. Add the remaining teaspoon of margarine and heat until melted. Add the egg mixture, reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally.

*This recipe serves 4, so I cut it in half.


No comments: